Here are few software metrics which could be useful to you.
We can classify them into
a) Process metrics
Metrics pertaining to the process quality. It includes
- defect distribution
- testing effort distribution
- testing and review efficiency
- test planning
b) Product metrics
Metrics pertaining to the product quality. It includes
- Defect Density
- Testability (robustness of the product)
- Residual defect density
I have tried to illustrate a few of them.
1. Schedule Variance : Any difference between the scheduled completion of an activity and the actual completion is known as Schedule Variance.
Schedule variance = ((Actual calendar days – Planned calendar days) + Start variance)/ Planned calendar days x 100
2. Effort Variance : Difference between the planned outlined effort and the effort required to actually undertake the task is called Effort variance.
Effort variance = (Actual Effort – Planned Effort)/ Planned Effort x 100
3. Size variance : Difference between the estimated size of the project and the actual size of the project (normally in KLOC or FP)
Size variance = (Actual size – Estimated size)/ Estimated size x 100
4. Requirement Stability Index : Provides visibility and understanding into the magnitude and impact of requirements changes.
RSI = 1- ((No of changed + No of deleted + No of added) / Total no of Initial requirements) x100
5. Productivity (Project) : It is a measure of output from a related process for an unit of input.
Project Productivity = Actual Project Size / Actual Effort spent for the project
6. Productivity ( for test case preparation)
Productivity in test case preparation = Actual no of test cases/ Actual effort spend on test case preparation
7. Productivity (for test case execution)
Productivity in test case execution = actual no of test cases / actual effort spend on testing
8. Productivity (defect detection)
Productivity in defect detection = Actual no of defects (review + testing) / actual effort spend on (review + testing)
9. Productivity (defect fixation)
Productivity in defect fixation = actual no of defects fixed/ actual effort spend on defect fixation
10. Schedule variance for a phase : The deviation between planned and Actual schedule for the phases within a project.
Schedule variance for a phase = (Actual Calendar days for a phase – Planned calendar days for a phase + Start variance for a phase)/ (Planned calendar days for a phase) x 100
11. Effort variance for a phase : The deviation between planned and actual effort for various phases within the project.
Effort variance for a phase = (Actual effort for a phase – planned effort for a phase)/ (planned effort for a phase) x 100
12. Cost of Quality : It is a measure in terms of money for the quality performance within an organization
Cost of quality = (review + testing + verification review + verification testing + QA + Configuration management + measurement + training + rework review + rework testing)/ total effort x 100
13. Cost of poor quality : It is given as the cost of implementing imperfect processes and products.
Cost of poor quality = rework effort/ total effort x 100
14. Defect density : It is given as the number of defects detected in the software during the development divided by the size of the software (typically in KLOC or FP)
Defect density for a project = Total number of defects/ project size in KLOC or FP
15. Review Efficiency : defined as the efficiency in harnessing/ detecting review defects in the verification stage.
Review efficiency = (number of defects caught in review)/ total number of defects caught) x 100
16. Testing Efficiency
Testing efficiency = 1 – ((defects found in acceptance)/ total no of testing defects) x 100
17. Defect removal efficiency : Gives the efficiency with which defects were detected and minimum defects were filtered down to the customer.
Defect removal efficiency = (1 – (total defects caught by customer/ total no of defects)) x 100
18. Residual Defect Density
Residual Defect Density = (total number of defects found by customer)/(Total number of defects including customer found defects) x 100